During an afternoon off of work this weekend, I decided a wintry cake was needed. There is no spice quite as magical to me than cardamom…so it always seems like my go-to when I am wanting to make something festive. Especially after getting my hands on some Baraka Cardamom from Diaspora Co. (the BEST (quality and ethically-sourced) spices out there in my book), baking with this queen of a pod is so special. Lucky for you, it JUST came back into stock! Get a jar here! The recipe is a modified version of King Arthur Flour’s vanilla almond bundt cake. Side note: I was reminded how I am not head-over-heels about powdered sugar glaze’s like this one (in the future I will definitely play around with some other alternatives), BUT…it is nonetheless very delicious and treats my sweet tooth well : )
Vanilla Cardamom Cake
Fills 1 x 12-cup bundt pan
16 tbsp (227g) softened butter
1 1/3 c. (262g) sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
2 tsp Vanilla extract
1 c. (96g) almond flour
1 1/2c. (184g) all purpose flour
6 large eggs, room temp.
(optional- dust with powdered sugar in its place)
2 c. (241G) powdered sugar
1/4 c. (57g) heavy cream
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare your bundt or cake pan however you like- grease and flour.
- In a large bowl or electric mixer, beat butter until soft. Add the sugar, salt, baking powder, vanilla extract, and cardamom. Beat until well-blended
- Add the flours and mix; the mixture will be crumbly
- Add the eggs one at a time, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl after each one. The batter will become fluffy after the third or fourth egg.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and level it out with a spatula.
- Bake the cake for 1 hour or more, until a tester in the center is inserted and comes out clean- the edges will also start to pull away from the pan.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and place it on a rack to cool. Turn it out of the pan after about 10 minutes to let cool completely.
- To make the glaze (optional), mix all of the ingredients together, adding some water if needed to make it spreadable.
- Use a spatula to spread it on top of the cake, or pour. Let it sit a few minutes to set before serving.
- Store covered for up to a week, or freeze for up to 3 months.